Monday, March 3, 2014

Prepare Our Hearts

It is Monday evening and it has been snowing much of the day. It is cold and icy out, yet I sit under a blanket on my porch with my cat & dog snuggled up beside me. It is warm, quiet & calm. As I sit here, I have an overwhelming feeling of gratitude; of grace surrounding me. It is palpable and deep; enveloping me.
We leave for Uganda and Good Shepard's Fold in less than 20 days. I feel God whispering to me constantly in my spirit as the departure draws near.

This past Friday we had an Uganda team cookout and had the privilege of meeting and hearing more about Uganda and Good Shepard's Fold from those who have grown up there as orphans, visited there on previous short term missions, lived there as missionaries, and continue to minister there and/or assist others in adopting from Good Shepard's Fold. The joy they exuded when they talked about GSF and especially about Uganda and the people- it was contagious. I could see that Uganda had impacted their lives forever and an anticipation of change has come over me and our team as our departure date approaches. Friday night made me realize, perhaps for the first time, just how tremendous and life changing this trip is going to be for all of us.  I can feel it building. I can feel God working to prepare each of our hearts.

As I learn more about Uganda, I am humbled. Humbled when I complain or get irritated by the little inconveniences in my life; having to wait in line, not making the traffic light when I am running late, waiting on the cold water to heat up, misplacing my car keys. I am feeling convicted of my selfishness; prompted to examine my attitude whenever I begin to complain. God is opening my eyes so I can see that I live in such grace, blessing, and abundance. HE is convicting my heart when I complain. I have prayed for this. That HE would give me eyes to see as HE sees. That HE would give me wisdom. And while I pray for it, it hurts to see my heart. I am aware I need heart surgery. I can sense that Uganda is part of that surgery.

So I step out of my comfortable life and trust HIM. My devotional reading today from Charles Swindoll affirms this decision: "Obedience results in ultimate happiness. I love Jesus's affirmation, "If you know these things, you are blessed if you do them." John 13:17.  Notice, in the final analysis, happiness comes from doing these things. Meaning what? Namely this, we have to carry it out before we can enter into the joy of serving. Just studying about it or discussing it produces no lasting happiness. The fun comes when we roll up our sleeves, wrap the towel around our waist, and wash a few feet...quietly...graciously...cheerfully like Christ who was "gentle" and "humble in heart."

Everywhere I turn, God is whispering and working on my heart. I think everyone on the team is feeling HIS hand working in their hearts too.

Here is what we will find:
  • Half of the population of Uganda is under age 15. I will say it again, 50% of the population is under age 15!  
  • 12% of children under 18 are orphans. 
  • 1 in 11 children do not live to age 5. 
  • 1 in 19 do not live to age 1.
  • 58% travel over 30 minutes to fetch clean water.
  • Only 1 in 7 households have electricity.
 Yet there is such HOPE! God is at work. HE loves Uganda. HE loves the orphans, the lost, the lonely. "For God so loved the world that HE gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16


HE empowered the establishment of Good Shepard's Fold with it's mission: "the purpose and primary vision of evangelizing the orphan and destitute children of Uganda with the good news of Jesus Christ, while also providing for their physical, spiritual, educational and medical needs."

And now HE empowers this team to step out and go serve. HE has empowered so many supporters to pray for us and financially support us so we can go. HE is at work. Yes, there is such need, but HE knows, HE is in control, HE has a plan. Our team is blessed to be part of that plan. 

"How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in?  And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard?  And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?  And how can anyone preach unless they are sent?
Romans 10:13-15

Thank you to all who have given generously for our team to go and serve. We are getting closer to our goal everyday, but we are not there yet. So if you feel it on your heart to give- please do!

And thank you to all who are praying for us. Please continue!!! Here are some prayer requests~ a wonderful prayer that Sharon Batley shared that she is praying for our team- thought this would be wonderful to share with all the prayer warriors who are praying for us: team unity, ministry opportunities, the children's hearts, finances, safety and health; that our hearts will be open to see God at work in our lives and that we would come to know God in a wonderfully new way.  Be praying that without need of words our love of Christ will shine and that everyone we meet will be attracted to GOD in us!

As it is getting late, I wrap up this entry with photos from our team cookout on Friday as we were blessed to have time together as a team and hear from the Greer & Renfrew families about their experiences in Uganda! 






 



 




No comments:

Post a Comment